Friday, July 15, 2011

Second sewing machine adventure of the year

Here is my greatest recent accomplishment:

A hem. It's not much to brag about, except that it's the only thing I've gotten finished in what feels like a very long time.

I ended up making this dress shorter by over three inches, so it was definitely necessary - obviously I bought it knowing it would be unwearable if I didn't hem it. After dithering for many weeks after buying it, I decided that yes, I wanted to try to do it myself rather than taking it to a dry cleaner. A little bit of research led me to believe that the best approach, with my very simple sewing machine, was to use the reinforced straight stitch and a jersey needle. And, it worked! It's still got enough stretch that I don't think the hem is going to break, and it's exactly the length I wanted, and it's even. What a surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment